This 4-week, 160-hour course is designed to prepare drivers for the State of Michigan Commercial Driver License test and to become professional truck drivers. It is intended for those who have little or no experience driving tractor-trailer rigs. The course includes knowledge of state & federal regulations governing commercial motor vehicles as well as skills in inspecting, maneuvering, and driving tractor-trailer rigs. We also teach skills that will maximize your employability.
Our approach is similar to the one used by the airlines and the military to train pilots:
- Teach knowledge and concepts in the classroom
- Develop skills through practice in the simulator
- Master skills through range and road driving in a tractor-trailer rig
Classes run 7:30 am-6:00 pm Monday through Thursday for 4 weeks. The course includes:
- 80 hours of classroom instruction*
- 40 hours of driving simulator instruction (20 hours driving; 20 hours observing)*
- 12 hours of commercial vehicle inspection lab
- 28 hours of behind-the-wheel (BTW) driving
*Additional inspection lab and BTW driving time may be substituted for some classroom and simulator time.