Mighty Earth Michigan Organizing Director
Mighty Earth is looking for a Michigan Organizing Director for a short-term contract to manage a field campaign with 5-8 college intern organizers located at the University of Michigan, Michigan State and Eastern Michigan University for our automotive decarbonization campaign. The Organizing Director will work with the Senior Director of the Decarbonization Campaign to establish systems and strategies to support each organizer and to further develop Mighty Earth’s coordinated organizing efforts. The Organizing Director will be responsible for managing, implementing, and executing the field program objectives across the state. Some travel is needed so access to reliable transportation is required.
Who you are:
- Located in Michigan
- 2-4 years experience in grassroots organizing, environmental justice, social justice issues, human rights, or political campaigns.
- 1-3 years of management experience with volunteers or staff
- Strong Commitment to environmental justice
- Experience planning public actions and events
- Experience working with college students and volunteers
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team, as well as to take initiative and work independently
Scope of work:
- Represent Mighty Earth in Michigan and manage 6-8 college intern organizers located at the University of Michigan, Michigan State, and Eastern Michigan University
- Develop and coordinate work plans for each intern organizer
- Provide regular supervision, support and guidance to the staff organizers to succeed in their work, avoid burn out and better engage our target population
- Provide organizing direction for the organizers
- Support the different organizing campaigns across campuses
- Ensure programs/campaigns are on target in the delivery of activities and results
- Develop materials, work plans and accountability systems for the implementation of organizing plans
- Implement strategies to gather large numbers of petition signatures on campuses
- Work with organizers to build a large group of engaged and excited students who are ready to mobilize and act
- Generate media attention on campus through op-eds, letters to the editor, and talking to university or local reporters
This position will pay $45 an hour and will require 40 hours/week of your time. This is a short-term contract position through March 31st, 2023, with the potential for extension through May 2023.
Please submit a resume to Matthew@MightyEarth.org. We will fill the position on a rolling basis, and aim to hire immediately – so please apply soon. Please include a cover letter in the body of your email.
About Mighty Earth
Who we are:
Founded in 2015, Mighty Earth is a global advocacy organization working to defend a living planet. Our goal is to protect half of Earth for Nature and secure a climate that allows life to flourish. Mighty Earth achieves transformative change by creating a “perfect storm” of campaigns, communications, and practical engagement with decision-makers to rapidly transform entire industries and government policy.
We have played a leading role in driving the transformation of whole industries and government policy to stop the destruction of tropical forests, transform agriculture, and drive multi-billion-dollar shifts to clean energy. Through our campaigns, we seek to make significant progress to support impacted people around the world, especially Indigenous communities, communities of color and low-income communities, including by protecting land rights and combatting modern slavery.