The Manufacturing Engineer/CNC Programmer will plan, execute methods and improvement in the mill and assembly operations including operating machinery, mill and assembly scheduling, mill and assembly equipment and tools. They will be initially programming and maintaining the programs for CNC mill machinery and performing support as needed for metal working CNC equipment located in Charlevoix or Grand Haven facilities and wood equipment in the Charlevoix facility. This person will receive direction from 1st Shift Process Engineers/Programmers and the 2nd Shift Supervisor to ensure our 2nd shift operations run smoothly, aligning to standard processes for 1st shift operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
CI and resource planning for the assembly and process of building wood and metal componentry
Write and optimize CNC programs to create complex parts on 3 and 4 axis machine centers and saws
Support any trouble shooting of programs on wood and metal working CNC machinery
Develop work holding and select cut tools
Create and compile necessary documents to aid setting up machines
Integrate work with Engineering, Production, Quality, Purchasing, and Scheduling Departments to ensure a smooth flow of quality products through the plant
Optimize facility layouts, production lines, machine operations and network performance
Research & implement opportunities to make processes more efficient, including testing new and existing production procedures
Resolve issues and delays in production and find ways to maximize quality & reduce costs
Train staff in new and existing processes
Work collaboratively with the Process Engineers/Programmers on 1st shift, ensuring 2nd shift operations follow company guidelines & SOP’s
Other duties may be assigned at any time
Education and/or Experience
High School Degree (H.S.) or GED must have at least five years’ experience writing CNC programs in machine environment
1-3 years experience with manufacturing processes & knowledge of process improvement concepts
Demonstrates proficiency with CAD & CAM software
Proficient in print reading
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
● Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
● Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
● Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
● Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Aligns work with strategic goals.
● Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
● Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
● Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
● Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
● Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
● Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives.
● Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
● Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
● Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
● Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
● Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
● Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
● Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Must be able to read and speak fluent English.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.